This weekend, the Ste. Genevieve High School Speech and Debate team hosted the MSHSAA District competition, where the team had finalists in 12 out of 13 total events and qualified for state in seven events!
The state qualifiers are listed below:
- Soraya Zerwig (10) placed 2nd in Humorous Interpretation.
- Geneva Crump (12) placed 3rd in Dramatic Interpretation.
- Shaun Uzzell (10) placed 2nd in Storytelling.
- Katelyn Fuller (10) placed 2nd in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking.
- Clayton Huck (12) placed 2nd in International Extemporaneous Speaking.
- Katelyn Fuller (10) and Addie Taylor (10) placed 1st in Policy Debate.
- Brooke Weiler (12) placed 1st in Lincoln-Douglas Debate.
The following students also gave a fantastic performance:
- Vela Lightle (10) placed 5th in Prose Reading.
- Tristan Orine (10) placed 4th in Radio Speaking.
- Addie Taylor (10) placed 5th in Original Oratory.
- Katie Chapman (11) and Sydney Bumgardaner (10) placed 3rd in Public Forum debate.
- Ali Werner (10) and Blake Young (10) placed 2nd in Public Forum debate.
- Jesse Pinkley (12) and Geneva Crump (12) placed 7th in Duo Interpretation.
The Readers’ Theatre group won 4th place, and the One Act placed 5th. The Speech and Debate team also took home a 2nd place sweepstakes trophy, as well!
"This has been a tough year due to a variety of circumstances, and we have a very young team, but the kids have worked hard and their efforts have reaped the absolute best result!” Speech & Debate Coach Christia Gugel said. “I am incredibly proud of this team, and the kids have taken ownership of our activity. I can't wait to see what these students do in the future!"